This is MY journey with MS! I give you my thoughts, feelings, hopes, and prayers. My wish that one day this disease will come to an end. That one day there will be a cure. For now, I hold on to possibility. I HOPE this will help and inspire not only myself but others.
 
For the latest News, Weather, & More.....keep scrolling!

MS Walk 2006!

Today was the MS Walk in Kennewick (about 15 minutes from where I live). Everyone was told to arrive sometime around 7 or 8 a.m. I am not much of a morning person, so we were there just after 8 a.m. It has been such beautiful weather lately (it was 73` just two days ago) and today it rained like crazy. But, rain or shine the walk must go on. It was very cold and so my son was not very happy with me. He was a trooper for the first part of it. We volunteered at the beginning, there was not a lot to do as I live in a small town and the biggest city is 3-4 hours away, so it was not the big setup that is often done in the big cities (booths by the drug companies, local news stations, etc.)

It was different. Yet, it was the same. It was all of us who fight for this very important cause, raising money and awareness to find a cure for MS. It was so inspiring to see that even in small town USA, all these people come together to walk for each one of us who suffer from this illness everyday, even in the pooring rain, wind, and chilling cold weather, they came, smiled, and walked. That is something that just touched my heart and makes me so very grateful. I am thankful to everyone who donates to the charities, but also to those who help and support me, and all people with MS. Today I have been truly inspired by each and every one of those people, and I will always be grateful for their contribution to our fight.

I was unsure if we would walk when I first signed up to volunteered because I was not sure how I would feel. I made donations as I could, but did not commit to walking because I just was not sure. It was so cold though that I thought I would probably be in more pain if I sat around in the cold and waited than if I moved from trying to walk, so Justin, Nathan, and I decided to do the walk. We did not make it very far before my legs started to cramp up and spasm. By this point we were all soaked and I was shaking from being cold. Nathan was getting grumpy and so I decided that we probably should go.

As much as I wanted to make it through the whole thing, my son complaining was stressing me out, which only made it worse, and I knew that when I got home I was going to have to take the Avonex, which gives me a lot of pain. Looking at it from a realistic stand point, I decided it probably would not do anyone any good if I got a cold or worse, the flu also. So, we left a bit early. I am glad that we went and did as much as I could though. Next year my goal is to have a team in place and raise a bunch of money. Then we can all walk together. That would be great.

After the walk we got lunch and a movie so that we could spend some much needed family time. Nathan, of course, was excited to spend some time with his dad, since he does not get to see him all the time. Nathan and Justin decided to rent a video game and I think once I take my injection and go to bed for the night (which will be soon) they will hang out and play Nate's game system and do the boy thing. That will be some good time for them. My plan for tonight: take a hot shower (it has been SO cold today), take my pills, my injection, crawl into bed, and sleep.

I hope you are all doing well and have had a good day, as I have. It has been a long day, but a good day. One with a purpose. It is nice to know at the end of the day you have done some good. :) Please take care. I wish you all the best.

3 comments:

mdmhvonpa said...

It's good to hear that it went so well for you.

Christina K Brown said...

This is the first year since we moved here and since I was DX that we DID NOT walk because we were suppose to take my Mom back to Seattle to catch her flight to Seattle.

If we had walked we might have actually MET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My team name is Walk On and we usually raise a bunch of money, I feel guilty because I even got a special T-shirt mailed to me this year.

I can't believe we live in the same town.

I can't wait to get to met!

Christina

Christina K Brown said...

lol meet


All personal text & images are protected under copyright law. 2006-2009



About Me

My photo
I was diagnosed with MS in 2004, have been through all of the FDA approved treatments I qualify for and now am participating in the HALT MS Study. This is my story...my life with MS (among other things).

Do you have a MS Story to tell? Any suggestions, ideas to make my blog better? I would love to hear from you. Please send me an Email.....

Click to Contact Me Now!

Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.comFree Tell A Friend from Bravenet.com

MS Advocacy

More About ME!

Previous Posts

Brian Games!

Directory of Health Blogs
View blog authority
blogarama - the blog directory
My BlogCatalog BlogRank
Listed on BlogShares
Healthcare 100 - eDrugSearch.com