This is MY journey with MS! I give you my thoughts, feelings, hopes, and prayers. My wish that one day this disease will come to an end. That one day there will be a cure. For now, I hold on to possibility. I HOPE this will help and inspire not only myself but others.
 
For the latest News, Weather, & More.....keep scrolling!

Do You Have Sleeping Problems?

I am not sure what it is but lately it seems like no matter how much sleep I get it is just not a restful sleep. I wake up more tired than the day before and I am just exhausted. Now, I am not sure if this is because of the level of fatigue I have with my various health problems or if there is something more going on. All I know is that I am tired and it doesn't seem to matter what I do....nothing seems to help.

For example, last night I was in bed by 9:30. This is really good for me as I am very much a night owl. I wanted to go to bed early for a couple of reasons. One being that I have been so tired lately...even my body seems to be physically exhausted (and it is not like I am super busy or anything so I am sure this has to do with my health). The other being that I wanted to get up early enough to make it to Church this morning. My Church used to meet at 1pm but recently the time has changed to 9am. I was hoping that if I could get a good nights sleep I could feel well enough in the morning that my body would work and I could make it there. This did not happen. I woke up several times throughout the night (this is typical) and even though I was able to go back to sleep I don't think I slept very well. Then when my alarm went off and it was time to get up.....I had the worst headache (still have a headache and it is 4 hours later) and my legs were in knots (charley horses, spasms, tremors). Not to mention I could not move my arm for almost a 1/2 hour and when it finally came out of that.....numbness...such a horrible feeling and strange kind of pain. Anyway, by time my body was able to function well enough for me to even get out of bed it was too late to get ready and make it on time. I have even tried setting my alarm for earlier and sometimes that works, but then I am so tired by noon that I need to go back to bed for a hour or two or I can't seem to function the remaining part of the day....when I really need energy because Nate is home from school and needs my full attention. Also, when my body does not want to work.....it just does not work. And it seems that I am having more and more of these mornings.

So how do you retrain your body? I would so love to be a morning person. I really enjoy the mornings when I am able to get up early and feel good. It is a great start to the day. The problem is that those are few and far between seeing how most mornings it takes a good hour or two (sometimes longer) for my body to function. Heck, most of the time I am even in a good mood...happy...looking forward to the day. I am not typically a grump in the morning however it is frustrating for me if I have somewhere I need to be or want to be and can't seem to function. This has been on my mind since I woke up this morning because I really want to be able to get up and function in a way that I don't have to miss going to places....like Church. I decided this would be my post for the day and maybe some of you would have ideas....maybe you also struggle with this.

Interestingly enough when I turned on my computer and MSN.com pulled up there was something that caught my attention. It said "Wide Awake? 7 steps to a better nights sleep" Although this is purely a coincidence I decided to read it. There are some great suggestions if you have problems sleeping. I think I will try these out....however I would also love to hear from any of you who may have some suggestions...something that works for you. The article claims many of our sleeping problems are from stress....and although I do have some stress in my life, it is not severe. I have been under much more stress and was able to get a better nights sleep before my health went down the drain. For this reason I feel my sleep problems result much more from my health then they do stress, however stress is never a good thing and we can all do without it. Sleep well!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having lived with one form of insomnia or another most of my late teen and adult life, I found I simply had to adjust my schedule to accommodate this...I've worked mostly afternoon and evenings for the past twenty plus years! Couldn't beat it, so I kinda joined it...LOL I'm just not a morning person and don't even pretend I am. YOU on the other hand, have a schedule (son) requiring morning hours and I don't envy you...sorry your sleep is in major suckage right now!

Linda D. in Seattle

mdmhvonpa said...

I woke up several times throughout the night (this is typical) and even though I was able to go back to sleep I don't think I slept very well. Then when my alarm went off and it was time to get up.....I had the worst headache (still have a headache and it is 4 hours later) and my legs were in knots (charley horses, spasms, tremors). Not to mention I could not move my arm for almost a 1/2 hour and when it finally came out of that.....numbness...such a horrible feeling and strange kind of pain.


Hrmmm ... you know, this sounds a lot like what I go through every night. And yet, no solution has seemd to 'stick'. Not to trivialize what you are going through, but I just tell myself to 'get on with it'. Perhaps my baggage is a bit lighter than yours. Either way, I find that making sure I stop my caffine intake by the early afternoon and taking in a bit of carbs for dinner I tend to get a bit of sleep. Not entirely restfull but sufficient.

-Eric said...

Exercise during the day. And I don't just mean walk around for 5 mintues. Try walking or jogging for 30 minutes. Something for 30 minutes. Try that. Preferably early in the morning before work, etc. I guarantee you that when you go to sleep that night you won't have any problems because you'll be THAT tired.

Jaime said...

Linda,

I think maybe you have hit it on the nose, maybe this is some form of insomnia. I quite enjoy my mornings when I am able to get up and function at a decent time, it just seems like that doesn't happen very often. Adjusting my schedule would be nice, but it is not possible at this point. Maybe my PCP will have some suggestions the next time I see him.

Jaime

Jaime said...

Mdmhvonpa,
It sounds as if this just may be a chronic struggle. I know the feeling about trying to just 'get on with it' and that is just what I do...it can just be frustrating when each day I seem to have more and more fatigue.

I wish it was as easy as changing my diet but I eat more healthy than most people I know. I have not drank anything with caffine in it for months and since my diet is pretty specific....I have carbs every night(steamed veggies with dinner).

I really think that this is more due to my health than anything. One more part of progressing I suppose.

Jaime

Jaime said...

Erik,

I think that you are right when it comes to the importance of exercise. Unfortunately that is not my problem....although it may be contributing.

I have a regular exercise program that I follow and usually I feel better when I exercise. I have been having problems with sleeping for a while however, and it just seems that my fatigue has increased drastically over the last couple of months. I also had another relapse and have been progressing. It may be that this fatigue just comes with the territory. I have not been able to follow my regular exercise routine since my relapse and am praying that after my first chemo I can get the okay to go back to the gym.

My regular routine consists of taking my dog, Buddy, for a 1/2 hour walk every day and then I spend about a 1/2 hour at the gym each weekday (I swim on M,W,F and do light-weight resistance work outs...the ball and weight machines...on T,Th). I can't wait to get back into this routine and hopefully it will help me get the restfull sleep I need. :)

Thanks for the suggestions...I think it is important that everyone with this illness find an exercise program that works for them. Not only can it help with our fatigue...it can help with our mobility and over all outlook on things. Take care.

Jaime

Jaime said...

Eric....I must appologize! I just realized I spelled your name wrong above. Please forgive me, I won't make that mistake again. :)

Michelle said...

I have always had trouble sleeping, even as a kid. I know when I excercise REALLY hard, I sleep better, but it's hard to for me to sustain that level of excercise. It sounds like you may be a praying person. I finally gave in a few years ago and would just get up, get out of bed and start praying, telling God I'm really tired and would like to be sleeping but maybe there is something really important I need to pray about or maybe I just needed to talk to God about whatever. Anyway, this seemed to help me get some restful sleep afterwards. I got out of that habit, but have started up a little again. Just something that worked for me. :)

Jaime said...

Michelle,
Welcome! I have to agree that being able to talk out whatever is on my mind through prayer is a great release. Sometimes that can be difficult to do, sometimes it can be overwhelming...but it is always a great comfort to know that I can turn to God. I would like to think that I am a spiritual person, but I know I have some work to do in that area. I think many times I am my most critical judge. I tend to be hard on myself...I think we all do that from time to time. Fortunately I believe God is not as critical and is very forgiving and He loves and accepts us just the way we are! :)
Jaime


All personal text & images are protected under copyright law. 2006-2009



About Me

My photo
I was diagnosed with MS in 2004, have been through all of the FDA approved treatments I qualify for and now am participating in the HALT MS Study. This is my story...my life with MS (among other things).

Do you have a MS Story to tell? Any suggestions, ideas to make my blog better? I would love to hear from you. Please send me an Email.....

Click to Contact Me Now!

Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.comFree Tell A Friend from Bravenet.com

MS Advocacy

More About ME!

Previous Posts

Brian Games!

Directory of Health Blogs
View blog authority
blogarama - the blog directory
My BlogCatalog BlogRank
Listed on BlogShares
Healthcare 100 - eDrugSearch.com