This is MY journey with MS! I give you my thoughts, feelings, hopes, and prayers. My wish that one day this disease will come to an end. That one day there will be a cure. For now, I hold on to possibility. I HOPE this will help and inspire not only myself but others.
 
For the latest News, Weather, & More.....keep scrolling!

Victory for MS Activists!


Thanks to your calls to legislators, visits to district offices, and letters to the editor, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) has revised a potentially damaging policy on its coverage of power mobility devices.

“MS activists led the charge in responding to this issue. I am extremely proud of your diligent grassroots advocacy,” Joyce Nelson, president and CEO of the National MS Society, said. “For people with multiple sclerosis and other severe disabilities who depend on Medicare, this is a significant victory.”

You raised your voice when this new Medicare policy inappropriately used an arbitrary “stand, pivot, and transfer” test — not the functional needs of the individual, as determined by medical experts — to decide the quality of the mobility device that is covered. You took action again when the same policy reduced reimbursement to suppliers of those devices and threatened to limit access to wheelchairs for all beneficiaries no matter their eligibility.

Your lawmakers heard you. Legislators from Arkansas, Illinois, Kentucky, Maryland, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, and other states effectively pressured CMS to change its policy. If you know that your legislator responded to this issue, remember to thank them.

The new policy now will allow physicians to prescribe the proper mobility device for their patients and the new fee schedule will ensure that the supply of powered wheelchairs meets the demand. Your incredible activism has helped to completely change this flawed policy and will allow people with MS to receive the equipment they need to maintain their mobility and quality of life.

To read the new policy, visit the CMS Web site.

Thank you for your work to make a positive change for people with MS.

2 comments:

Charles-A. Rovira said...

Well that's good news! We seem to be making a difference.

I hope my podcast audience was amongst the people who swayed the balance in the favor of common sense and common decency.

(Or better yet that some politician actually listened to the show episodes where I ended off urging people to go out and bug the hell out of them about this.)

Iain Dughlais said...

here here

cheers :)


All personal text & images are protected under copyright law. 2006-2009



About Me

My photo
I was diagnosed with MS in 2004, have been through all of the FDA approved treatments I qualify for and now am participating in the HALT MS Study. This is my story...my life with MS (among other things).

Do you have a MS Story to tell? Any suggestions, ideas to make my blog better? I would love to hear from you. Please send me an Email.....

Click to Contact Me Now!

Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.comFree Tell A Friend from Bravenet.com

MS Advocacy

More About ME!

Previous Posts

Brian Games!

Directory of Health Blogs
View blog authority
blogarama - the blog directory
My BlogCatalog BlogRank
Listed on BlogShares
Healthcare 100 - eDrugSearch.com