This is MY journey with MS! I give you my thoughts, feelings, hopes, and prayers. My wish that one day this disease will come to an end. That one day there will be a cure. For now, I hold on to possibility. I HOPE this will help and inspire not only myself but others.
 
For the latest News, Weather, & More.....keep scrolling!

Stoned!

So it turns out I have a kidney stone....or at least this is what my PCP thinks. As you all know I have not been feeling well lately and I chalked that up to the Novantrone. My main problem has been the nausea and I figured in time that would go away. Well last night I had the hardest time getting any sleep because my lower back hurt. I have had back pain before, but this was horrible (and I have had a herniated disc). I just could not get comfortable no matter what I did. Then this morning, when I went to the bathroom it all made sence. I had a small amount of blood in the urine (sorry...if that is too much info). Anyway, seeing how I have had a total hysterectomy I knew there was really only one reason for that....the kidneys. Just to be on the safe side though I did call my oncologist and neurologist to let them know what was going on. You just never know what kind of weird side effects you can get with these chemo drugs.

Sure enough, my instincts were right and they told me to go see my PCP. I saw my PCP this afternoon and he explained that not only are kidney stones incredibly painful (which I now know....I have never had one before) but they can also cause nausea, vomiting, and other symptoms. It all depends on the size of the stone and the type of stone, etc. Anyway, he said that the UA they did on me at the office was indeed positive for hematuria and consistent with a possible stone so I was sent in for a CT of the Urinary Tract. I should have the results tomorrow. The thing about kidney stones is that typically there is not much you can do. You just have to drink a lot of water and wait until the stone passes.

Fortunately I do drink a lot of water. Lately I have especially been drinking a lot of liquids...not just water, some sprite and ginger ale as well to help with the nausea. At least now I know that the chemo was not the only reason I have not been feeling good. There really has been something else contributing.

14 comments:

Heather said...

I must have missed that you were on Novantrone. That scares me even more than Tysabri, but that's just me.

How long have you been on it? Do you think it's being effective for you? (if it's even been long enough to tell)

Look forward to your updates.

mdmhvonpa said...

BTW: Drink a bit of Cranberry juice if you can ... it does wonders for the kidney.

Jaime said...

Heather,
The thing is they all have risks. I think it just all depends on what your comfort level is. The only scary thing about Novantrone is a rare possible side effect of heart disease, but then again you can get that from your parents or not eating healthy....Tysabri on the other hand has PML and that one is deadly. With my health history I would be more likely to get PML and so for me that is more scary....for you it may be the other way around. This is part of why it is important to talk to your doctor about what all the options are and what will work for YOU!

I think if I did not have my son I may feel different about Tysabri....it is just not what is right for me. I hope that if you choose to go for it that it works for you and you can start to recover. We all deserve that! :)

This was only my second dose of Novantrone but so far so good. Over all I feel better than I have in a long time. Granted I still have some residual effects of MS, and I will always have some health problems (as MS is not my only problem) but I am doing much better now than I was this time last year. The best part is that there is not a side effect of depression like with the CRAB's. The treatment is only once every three months and so my guess is that it will just take some time to really know how I respond. I will keep you all informed though. Others I know have had great success with it.

I wish you the best and hope you are off to a great start in 2007. It is good to hear from you.

Take care of yourself.
Jaime

Jaime said...

Thanks for the tip Mdmhvonpa! I will. :)

personallog! said...

Stone me! Is there anything YOU can't get....I dare you to try testicular cancer!hehe!

Get well soon babe. I love ya and wish you well!

Dave

Anonymous said...

"Geez...I shudder to think what could be next! But I HOPE nothing else comes your way!!!

Take care, kiddo...you deserve a break..."

Linda D. in Seattle

Vivian said...

Jaime- I am so sorry to hear you are dealing with kidney stones. I had one with each pregnancy, they suck. Hang in there, we are praying for you.
Vivian

Gandksmom said...

I am so sorry to hear about the kidney stone(s). I have never had one, but I have head how incredibly painful they are. And to answer your question on my blog, I am seeing the neuro at Upstate on 1/31! Feel better soon OK?

mouse said...

Go with the cranberry juice! You are such a sweetie I just want to take those hurts away from you!

Jaime said...

Dave,

If there was a woman who could get that...it would be me! That is just my luck when it comes to my health. Fortunately that is NOT possible! You know the saying when it rains it poors....that seems to be the case with me and my health. Not to worry though, I am doing much better now! :)

Jaime

Jaime said...

Linda,

I am very hopeful that nothing else will come my way. I am feeling much better and am pretty much recovered. Thanks for all of your well wishes. I hope you are feeling well! Take care.

Jaime

Jaime said...

Vivian,
Having a kidney stone is one thing, but while you are pregnant, that must have been really uncomfortable. Fortunately the stone has past and it was not very big. Thanks for all of your thoughts and prayers. I hope you and your family are all doing good. Take care.

Jaime

Jaime said...

Wendy,

Hopefully you will never have one. You are right, they are not fun, but I was fortunate to have a small one. :) Please keep us all updated on how your appointment goes. Take care of yourself.

Jaime

Jaime said...

Mouse,

You are such a sweetheart! I hope that everything is going well for you. It is a good think that I just happen to like cranberry juice, it is now on my list of things to drink on a regular basis. lol No more stones for me (if I can help it). Take care.

Jaime


All personal text & images are protected under copyright law. 2006-2009



About Me

My photo
I was diagnosed with MS in 2004, have been through all of the FDA approved treatments I qualify for and now am participating in the HALT MS Study. This is my story...my life with MS (among other things).

Do you have a MS Story to tell? Any suggestions, ideas to make my blog better? I would love to hear from you. Please send me an Email.....

Click to Contact Me Now!

Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.comFree Tell A Friend from Bravenet.com

MS Advocacy

More About ME!

Previous Posts

Brian Games!

Directory of Health Blogs
View blog authority
blogarama - the blog directory
My BlogCatalog BlogRank
Listed on BlogShares
Healthcare 100 - eDrugSearch.com