This is MY journey with MS! I give you my thoughts, feelings, hopes, and prayers. My wish that one day this disease will come to an end. That one day there will be a cure. For now, I hold on to possibility. I HOPE this will help and inspire not only myself but others.
 
For the latest News, Weather, & More.....keep scrolling!

Port

Last Monday I travelled back to Seattle to have a port-a-cath placed. The surgery went well! I was very impressed with how efficient the staff at Swedish is. My doctor was wonderful. He came out and talked to me about the port, what it is (even though I already knew about it He wanted to make sure I was well informed). He was even considerate enough to make sure to get the port in a place that would be most comfortable for me. He drew on where my bra straps hit and put it in the left side as I am right handed.

The ride home after the surgery did not go as well. I don't always respond well to anesthesia and pain meds. I slept most of the way but got sick before we made it home. To be on the safe side I went to stay at my parents for the night. Fortunately I am all better now. The pain went away after a couple of days and the site is healing really well.

Yesterday I had my third dose of Novantrone. I definitely recommend anyone going through chemo getting a port. It was so quick and easy this time. I debated getting the port because my chemo is only once every three months and it seemed to me that it would not be necessary, but as it turns out my veins did not want to work anymore. The chemo seems to wear off about a month before my next one is due, therefore I have been having to get IVSM as well. Not to mention all of the blood draws that I get for my various doctors. The last 3 times I had to have an IV put in it took them on average 1 hour or more to get access. I have so much scar tissue built up and the veins just don't seem to respond. My last chemo took just over 4 hours...most of which was them getting the IV in. Yesterday was slick. They just hooked it right into the port and I was done in about 1 1/2 hours. Very smooth. Now I am just taking it easy as I still have some nausea. Soon enough though I will be back to feeling good! :)

I hope all of you are doing well. Please take care of yourself.

3 comments:

personallog! said...

It makes me happy the chemo went well for you babe. Sorry I have not been around much to give you support but it sounds like you made the tight move with the medi port. For ever the perfectionist eh! Not for me tho. I hope the walk goes ok for you when it comes up.
Love ya!
Dave

Jaime said...

Not a problem Dave! I have missed talking to you as well, but I was really busy for a while and now I am just trying to get caught up on sleep/recover from my chemo. We will talk soon! :) The walk was great (did a posting today). Thanks for all of your support.

Jaime

mouse said...

Those ports make it easy for you and easy for the nurses who have to stick you. Everyone wins!


All personal text & images are protected under copyright law. 2006-2009



About Me

My photo
I was diagnosed with MS in 2004, have been through all of the FDA approved treatments I qualify for and now am participating in the HALT MS Study. This is my story...my life with MS (among other things).

Do you have a MS Story to tell? Any suggestions, ideas to make my blog better? I would love to hear from you. Please send me an Email.....

Click to Contact Me Now!

Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.comFree Tell A Friend from Bravenet.com

MS Advocacy

More About ME!

Previous Posts

Brian Games!

Directory of Health Blogs
View blog authority
blogarama - the blog directory
My BlogCatalog BlogRank
Listed on BlogShares
Healthcare 100 - eDrugSearch.com