This is MY journey with MS! I give you my thoughts, feelings, hopes, and prayers. My wish that one day this disease will come to an end. That one day there will be a cure. For now, I hold on to possibility. I HOPE this will help and inspire not only myself but others.
 
For the latest News, Weather, & More.....keep scrolling!

President Bush Vetoes Stem Cell Bill

"Casting the first veto of his 5½-year presidency, President Bush says that legislation easing limits on federal funding for embryonic stem cell research "crosses a moral boundary."

  • More stem cell news and information!
  • I for one do not agree with the veto. I understand that there may be a moral boundary to take into consideration but it seems to me there MUST be a way to design the legislation to allow for this research to go on. It is too important and will help so many people (throughout the world...not just Americans). Why not limit it only by stating that they won't take them form aborted fetuses. It seems to me that would solve the problem. These stem cells don't only come from abortions...there are many from the umbilical cord, placenta, etc. Just as we have the right to be an organ donor, why not ask mothers to be if they want to be a stem cell donor (for when the baby is born). This is only one example of how to be flexible so the research can continue without crossing the moral boundaries. Please leave me comments and let me know how you feel about this.

    3 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    Jaime,

    Not sure this went through the first time I tried to leave it, but I DO have a comment LOL:

    Actually, most human "stem cells" considered for research come from blastocytes, which are collected from fertility clinics, etc. A blastocyte is a group of about 50-100 cells, NOT A HUMAN EMBRYO, collected from the female ovaries and stored for later invitro fertilization (fertilization in a test tube and replanted in the female, in lay terms). Following fertilization, these blastocytes "could" form an embryo and a viable pregnancy. Women who visit fertility clinics often have many blastocytes collected and stored for later fertilization, but the remaining blastocytes are usually destroyed. It is these stored and not yet destroyed blastocytes scientists have been "banned" from. Private fertility clinics were able to offer the donor the option of destroying the blastocytes or donating them to science...this is no longer the case. There is actually a senator (name escapes me) who thinks ALL of these blastocytes should be fertilized and replanted in women to create "adoptable children"!!! Our government has gone mad...fanatics will KILL abortion clinic doctors, burn down the clinics, yet VOTE FOR THE DEATH PENALTY. It seems there are those in our government who feel "playing God" is their role...that is, deciding WHEN all life is sacred and WHAT lives should be sacred. Let's go blast and kill a few more Iraqi's and let some more Americans die from neurological disorders because our science is not allowed to advance to save BLASTOCYTES...yep...makes perfect sense to me. I'm just saying...

    Linda D. From the City Of Origin of Stem Cell Research, Seattle

    Jaime said...

    Linda,

    I was actually aware of this. I worked in medicine for a long time and know that the U was doing some stem cell research as well! I don't understand why there is such a controversy. There ARE many ways of getting stem cells...blastocytes are one, but they can also come from donated umblical cords, from our own blood, and even from the fat cells obtained during liposuction. Research of stem cells from all of these areas are important and to limit the research that could help millions of people, that is just sad!

    What ever happened to seperating Church and State? You have hit that one on the nail! Two wrongs do not make a right. In my personal opinion those people who blow up abortion clinics, etc. over their religious beliefs...they are no better than the terrorists!

    Take care of yourself! I hope you are well.

    Jaime

    Matt said...

    all of bush's stem cell stuff is nothing but political bullshit. he already funds stemm cell research, but not nearly enough as we need. he's trying to keep it on the dl by vetoing the stem cell bill. if he really had a problem with it he would be shutting down the lines he has now.


    All personal text & images are protected under copyright law. 2006-2009



    About Me

    My photo
    I was diagnosed with MS in 2004, have been through all of the FDA approved treatments I qualify for and now am participating in the HALT MS Study. This is my story...my life with MS (among other things).

    Do you have a MS Story to tell? Any suggestions, ideas to make my blog better? I would love to hear from you. Please send me an Email.....

    Click to Contact Me Now!

    Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.comFree Tell A Friend from Bravenet.com

    MS Advocacy

    More About ME!

    Previous Posts

    Brian Games!

    Directory of Health Blogs
    View blog authority
    blogarama - the blog directory
    My BlogCatalog BlogRank
    Listed on BlogShares
    Healthcare 100 - eDrugSearch.com