This is MY journey with MS! I give you my thoughts, feelings, hopes, and prayers. My wish that one day this disease will come to an end. That one day there will be a cure. For now, I hold on to possibility. I HOPE this will help and inspire not only myself but others.
 
For the latest News, Weather, & More.....keep scrolling!

Advocacy Day 2008

Last year, you may remember, that I attended the Greater Washington Chapter of the NMSS Advocacy Conference. (See the Advocacy video off to the right.) This year I am scheduled to attend again, however mother nature may not allow me to make it.


Advocacy Day this year is this Thursday, January 31st. I am schedule to go to Olympia and meet one on one with the legislators for District 8, Washington State. I am scheduled to meet with Senator Jerome Delvin & Representative Larry Haler at 1:00 and then Representative Shirley Hankins at 1:30. I also have been in talks with the Governors Office and have the opportunity to meet with Christina, the Governor's Executive Policy Advisor on Health Care.

The Greater Washington Chapter is mainly focused on a bill that would provide tax exemptions for prescribed durable medical equipment. This would be great for all of us with MS as it would help us to better afford devices like wheelchairs, walkers, etc. Although these things may be covered by an insurance company, often times there are large deductibles involved or they do not pay the full amount leaving a portion for the person with MS to pay that may be more than they can afford.

My hope however is that not only will we have the opportunity to speak with these legislators about why this particular bill is important, but also speak to them about issues that directly impact us. I think it is important that we can put a face to an issue. If I can make it personal then hopefully it will make more of an impact.

Time will only tell. Currently the pass is closed and 1 to 3 feet of snow is expected. If that happens we won't be going. As much as I would like to. My hope is that maybe if we are unable to make it that we can reschedule for another time (outside of Advocacy Day) to meet with them and talk to them about issues that directly impact our area. So, keep your fingers crossed that one way or another we can get our message to our legislators.

2 comments:

mdmhvonpa said...

What you need is a team of sled dogs! Must get through the pass to save the settlement and deliver the critical supplies!!!

Stay safe, don't press it if the weather is too nasty.

Diane J Standiford said...

Thank you for attending these events that many of us can not. Thank you.


All personal text & images are protected under copyright law. 2006-2009



About Me

My photo
I was diagnosed with MS in 2004, have been through all of the FDA approved treatments I qualify for and now am participating in the HALT MS Study. This is my story...my life with MS (among other things).

Do you have a MS Story to tell? Any suggestions, ideas to make my blog better? I would love to hear from you. Please send me an Email.....

Click to Contact Me Now!

Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.comFree Tell A Friend from Bravenet.com

MS Advocacy

More About ME!

Previous Posts

Brian Games!

Directory of Health Blogs
View blog authority
blogarama - the blog directory
My BlogCatalog BlogRank
Listed on BlogShares
Healthcare 100 - eDrugSearch.com